Monday, January 17, 2011

Smart Student Consumer, lol!

Last week I checked the bookstore's textbook page to see how much I have to spend on my books this semester.

I am taking three classes. One is an independent study, which doesn't have a textbook. Of the other two classes, only one Prof. has placed an order for the book, thankfully, we have only one text for that class. I checked the price: a new book is $191.65, and a used book is $143.75.

I then went to Amazon, hoping that Amazon has some discount on this book. I was happy to see that the new book at Amazon is $128.32. Still I decided to check the used book options to see if I could save a bit more.

While checking other stores listing at Amazon.com I saw that one store is offering the book, new, for $53.41 plus $3.99 shipping for a total of $57.40. Another store offering it for $60.41, shipping included (basically fulfilling Amazon's offer that over $25 order is shipped free). I read the reviews of the store and got comfortable when all were good, and the satisfaction was 98% both long term and for the past year.

As I went to place the order, suddenly my eyes went to the top of the page and saw an offer for students. Current students get one year membership to two-day-free-shipping. I had this membership when Amazon first offered it. I got a one year trial for free, and then renewed it couple of years afterword. When I started listening to audiobooks and ordered books less and less I did not renew my membership the following year. But now, it is free for students, and since I am ordering textbooks, I thought why not.

I followed their step and registered for the free membership, and then placed my order.

I placed the order Tuesday night, the 11th, and it estimated that I shall receive my order on the 14th. When I checked the status of my order the next day, it said it was shipped, and I should expect delivery on the 13th. When we got home Thursday afternoon, it had arrived. Happily I checked my book, concerned about "if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!"

My book is new and in great condition. I checked all the pages, lol, all good. It comes with a CD. I have checked the CD, all good. So basically I got a $191.65 textbook at our bookstore for $60.41. I am a happy consumer.

This is the book for the same class I was trying to learn the software for it. I have been reading the first couple of chapters. For a technical book at the graduate level, it is actually readable, lol. I have been able to follow and understand the concepts on the first try. I am a happy student right now, lol.

I am learning the materials and a lot about that software program I used last Tuesday makes sense now. There are examples for the software on the CD, referring to the problem I have read in the chapter. So now I understand the problem, I can follow the solution, and when I look at the routine to be run inside that computer program, everything makes sense. Hopefully I can go back to school tomorrow and give the program another go, and this time be successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment