Sunday, January 2, 2011

I had a great holiday and I didn't even try to have a good time!

Seriously, the previous few years I went out of my way to make sure I had a great time during the holidays, but by the end I felt that it was just an OK holiday. On the other hand, this year I did not even try, and I ended up having a marvelous holiday!

Here are the differences between this year and the previous few years:
  1. The previous years during the Thanksgiving weekend I would get all my Christmas decoration out, I have tones, lol! I have been buying Christmas ornaments and lights since my senior year in college. Anyhow I would decorate both inside and outside of my home, giving it a festive look and feel makeover, lol. However, this year my Christmas decorations still packed, was moved from the basement to the garage, where it probably is going to stay for another holiday.
  2. The previous years I would make cakes and cookies at least twice a week during the holidays, to take to work. I love the smell of baking. This year however, I did not have an oven, coworkers to bake for, or the time to bake. My only baking was one day at my sisters. And that one day was lots more enjoyable. Of course I should not be surprised that with all those baking, and eating loads of them, I would gain weight, and was miserable by the end of the holidays, not this year though, lol.
  3. The previous years I would make flavored tea or coffee every night. And drink my delicious tea or coffee with cookies of course. This year, I did not have any flavored tea or coffee, and had neither a car nor money, to go to the mall, for what I now consider expensive, but when I was employed considered reasonably priced, flavored tea or coffee! This year I just drink my regular tea/coffee with one or two Dove dark chocolate while either studying for my final or working on my paper.
  4. The previous years I would make a list of people I wanted to buy gifts for, and I would proceed to surf the web and go to the malls, hours at a time, to find the perfect gift. So not only I would spend ungodly amount of time on gifts, my budget for gifts would go out of the window almost every year, lol. This year, I spend only one day at the mall buying all the gifts I wanted, with the budget that I had set previously. At the end I felt that my family and friends LOVED my gift cards this year more than the thoughtful gifts I gave them the previous years. And of course nothing is more gratifying than the feeling that when you do something for your loved ones they truly enjoyed it.
  5. The previous years I would contact my former coworkers and classmates to try and organize a get together lunch. The number of emails going back and forth between us, and me trying to find a day that would work for everyone, and then the place that would be convenient for everyone to attend was maddening! Ehen we finally got together always someone said something or act a certain way that ended up pissing someone else! I always felt bad that I was the culprit for bringing them together. This year I send an email notifying everyone that I would not be able to join them and hoped that they would go ahead without me. There are five different groups, lol, three groups had the celebration lunch but two sit this year out! Even though I missed seeing my old friends, but I am OK with that for now, lol.
  6. My mom always insists that we girls either join them for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, when in town. And we obey of course, lol. This year it was decided that it would be Christmas Day. Both my older sisters are married with kids. My younger sister has been dating her guy for few years now. So the previous years, when we all got together, I always felt that I am the odd woman out! As a result I never enjoyed Christmas as much as I wanted to! This year, unfortunately my younger sister's partner flow to his parents for the holidays, alone, because his mom is having a major health issue. I have been praying for her. Anyhow, my younger sister, my oldest niece who is a junior in college and without me noticing is all grownup and sophisticated all of the sudden, and I were without partners. We hangout together the whole day. I did not feel out of the place at all and ended up having a great time. I just wished that my sister's boyfriend could have been with us.
  7. My older sister throws a New Year's Eve party. The tradition started when I was still in middle school. During the Thanksgiving weekend my parents were in a very serious accident. They spend over three weeks in the hospital. When it got close to the Christmas they were allowed to come home with all the hospital equipments they needed, including a hospital bed for each, and of course a fulltime visiting nurse. Just couple of days before Christmas we kids decided to have a tree, buy gifts, and have a great Christmas. Then my older sister decided to have a New Year's Day party and invited all our family, friends, and neighbors to come and visit our parents. The following year the party became a New Year's Eve party and she has been having it ever since. The only change was when she bought her house, the party was moved to her house. Anyhow, every year I need to get a nice dress for this party. Again the previous years I would spend ungodly amount of time and money on a dress for this party and at the end I would be so dissatisfied with myself and feel so very unattractive. This year I borrowed a dress from my younger sister when I was at her place. My younger sister is taller and bigger boned then me. But even though she is very fit and I am not, I was able to fit into one of her shorter dresses. Since it was short for her she had gotten it in a larger size and it became perfect for me. I still have a long way to get to my comfortable weight but the 10+ pounds that I have lost has made me feel more attractive. Needless to say I ended up enjoying the New Year's Eve party enormously. I was even asked on a date and I accepted, lol.
Did I miss anything? I don't think so. So yes, I had a great holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment