Sunday, January 9, 2011

Big adjustment required!

I lived in my basement area with a husband and wife tent upstairs, for almost three weeks, before the holidays, and I don't remember having any issues!

Well my only issue was that I have included washer and dryer part of the rent area, and so I have to take my laundry out. The last time I did that was the year after college. Since then I have been living in apartments/my house where I either had washer and dryer of my own, or it was shared between a few of us on the floor. A Laundromat is about half an hour walk away from me, so right now, without a car, it is an issue! Hopefully soon, I shall either get a car, or the good whether comes around fast enabling me to easily walk there. But for now I have done my laundry at my parents, and both times my dad kindly gave me a ride.

Anyhow, I went back home last Sunday afternoon, and was ready to sleep late the next day. I am an unemployed student and still on break, lol. I stayed up reading and I think I fell asleep around 2 am. I woke up at 5 am from the pounding noise from upstairs! At first I thought maybe something was wrong. It felt as if they were running, maybe to get away or to get help! I waited to see if they call for me. They knew I was back home. But the commotion continued! I realized that nothing was wrong, and that seems to be the norm; they were just getting ready to go to work!

I am speculating that they were exercising when I woke up, but not with the machine, because it was not constant, maybe exercising with a videos. Anyhow, silence came back around 6:30. I tried to fall back to sleep, but no luck. The funny thing is that I never knew that the layer between the basement and upstairs was this thin! Seriously, I could hear all their movements. And they need an hour and half to get ready for work. It only takes me half an hour! lol.

Anyhow, the same thing happened Tuesday morning. I tried not to wake up completely, lol, so I could fall sleep again after 6:30, but by 6 o'clock, I was wide awake. Needless to say I was very annoyed! I consider myself a morning person, but I think I am a reasonable time morning person, lol, not before dawn morning person, lol.

Wednesday morning, again the same thing, so I decided to go with the flow, and when I woke up at 5 am, from the pounding noises from upstairs, I got up. I made myself coffee, and then decided to go for a walk!

I was not very comfortable to go out at 5:30, but decided to be brave lol. First I was concerned about black ice. I thought what if I fall down and hit my head, no one is going to find me on time, and I either bleed to death, or freeze!

There was a story in the news that just after the New Year, a man was found on a staircase, everyone tough he was drunk and was sleeping it off! But when he did not move for a day, police was called and they discovered that he was injured. They are speculating that the steps were slippery, he probably slipped, fell down, and hit his head! Anyhow I thought I might have the same fate!

And secondly even though I think my neighborhood is safe, one never knows how safe the neighborhood is when not many people are out and around.

But I ventured out, and to my surprise, I saw many runners, in 2s or 3s or just by themselves running. I think I saw someone every few minutes. I am very happy to be  living in the neighborhood with so many health conscious people, however I am disappointed that I am not one of them, lol, well not yet, but I think there is still hope for me, lol.

I took my familiar route to the bus stop and once I got to the main street, walked until I had walked for about half an hour, and then returned. On the way back I saw more people walking their dogs. Got home little after 6:30, took a shower, went back to bed, and to my surprise I fell asleep right away.

I followed the same routine both Thursday and Friday, and was happy when the weekend came around. But apparently the tents work on Saturday as well, so I had to get up, and go for my morning walk. We had about an inch of snow on the ground. I picked another route, took a more leveled street, and walked more careful. This morning I was able to sleep! Thankfully, the upstairs people do not go to work on Sundays.

I have decided that I am not going to join a gym. The first thing I have to spend money on is getting a car. That is more important at this point. Going on these walks, I realized that I enjoy the fresh morning air a lot. Even though it has been very cold, but it has not been uncomfortable. The cold makes me walk faster, which is a good thing, and once back home, I have enjoyed the warmth even more.

I am back at my parents now. My dad left for a two week business trip. He is teaching a training course for two weeks down south. My mom asked me to come and stay with her. So I shall be here for the next three weeks, the last week I shall be by myself, when my mom joins my dad for a week vacation.

Hopefully when I return home in three weeks, no adjustment would be required, other than the two I have already made, lol, taking my laundry out, and waking up at 5 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment