Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer jobs!

I started my research assistantship job this week. I am really excited. Reading a good third of the articles that my professors had given me before my trip, and showing up this week ready to ask detailed questions was the right move, lol. They were actually pretty surprised at the amount of reading I had done! Yes, even my thesis advisor, who has been guiding me for few months now, and who has been impressed by me enough to suggest creating an RA position for me, was surprised!

Of course this was not the first time that my professors had little confidence in my capabilities! Discounting my many years of industry experience and also my maturity, lol, is not a smart decision. I might not be able to, or willing to, stay up all night to study, but I have learned to take the most out of the few working hours I have during the day.

In the industry, I worked in the R&D department. I read many scientific articles and tried to take advantage of the new technology. I had deadlines, and I had multiple projects. So yes, I learned how to be efficient; otherwise it just wouldn't have worked!

Anyhow, I am so glad that I was able to make headway so far this week, since my advisor informed me that he is travelling a lot this summer, but he would be accessible through Skype. I have met with him thought Skype, couple of times, during the semester, when he was a bit weak to come to campus. I am not too excited about having remote meetings with him! Being in his office, having the board to write on, and point to, is so very convenient. I hope that I would be able to meet in his office more often.

I LOVE my lab mates. They are very friendly, and very approachable. They have been working together in the lab at least since the beginning of the year. I am the only new one among them. So they invited me to have lunch with them the first day and we all got acquainted. I am so glad my summer job is in this department, rather than my own department! And I became a BFF, lol! During the lunch a few were complaining about a tool they are using, which I agreed has a steep learning curve. I had used that tool at work, for almost 10 years, on and off. So when they were complaining about how complex using it is, I offered to answer any questions they might have, and so I became their new BFF, lol. One person even printed that all questions regarding that tool should be directed to me, and posted it on our information board, lol. They are bunch of fun people.

On the other news, my impulse to want to buy cloths has returned with my smaller size, lol! Earlier in the week I told my mom that I would tag along with her next time that she is going to the mall. She said how about Thursday? She asked me to come over for dinner and said afterwards we go shopping.

We just got back from the mall. I got a dress, and a skinny jeans. My first skinny pants actually! My mom got me another dress. She picked it herself and said if I liked it she buys it for me! I didn't care for the dress on the hanger, especially with the knot in front near the hip. But then I decided to put it on. I thought it would be easier to say no to my mom when the dress looks awful on me. To my surprise, it actually looks great on me. I went a size up (that would be size 8, lol) yes I am back to single digit size. I cannot believe it myself, lol! So yes with a larger size it is lose a bit, and it looks great. Thus extremely thankful of my mom I let her spoil me, lol.

Here are my two dresses, lol.


You see, for the past few years, I have bought almost all my cloths online. I would wait and wait until they arrive, then I would get very disappointed when most of them would look very ill on me, and I had to return them.

Before our vacation, I went shopping with my sister. Everything I liked and tried on looked good on me. So I ended up buying couple of shorts, couple of summer skirts, and a dress. My sister gave me a few shirts and tees that she had not worn for a while, and I thought with a few pieces of my own that still looks OK on me, I would be set until my weight settles down, and also I receive my summer stipend check. I thought then I would go shopping again.

But I was asked to teach a few training classes for a good pay, lol.

During the spring semester, we used a computer program in one of my classes. I got lucky in January when I was allowed to attend a full day training class for that program, aimed at training students/staff employed by the IT department, who were going to teach this program in one hour training classes during the semester.

I liked working with that software. Also when in February I interviewed for the industry job, and was told that the position requires working with that program extensively, for a few weeks I searched for code examples. I tried them, studied them, modified them a bit, and thus become very familiar with almost all the capabilities of that program.

On Monday I got an email from a manager at the IT department asking if I was willing to teach six one-hour training classes this week. Apparently a summer instructor just informed the IT department that he does not want to take the class time to teach that program, because of time constraint, and had asked IT to conduct the training. IT department then realized that none of their regular semester student employees are around, and their staff is busy with other duties! Apparently someone had mentioned my name, and thus the email.

I responded that I would be happy to teach the training classes, since I figured there is no need to prepare for them. I could just show up, walk the students through the designated workbooks, and get paid. The pay is not bad actually, lol, and I am getting a check next Friday.

Anyhow, I LOVE my skinny jeans. It looks good on me, lol, hopefully in a month or so it would look even better! It is a bit tight in the waist now, but fits perfectly in the hip. My body is a rectangle shape, so most pants that fit my waist might be big in the hip, and pants that fit my hip could be a bit tight in waist. I think I can get away with wearing a loose shirt over it for now. I have made a pact with myself, lol! I am thinking if I lose this bit of muffin top I should buy myself another skinny pants, lol. Yeap, the monster shopaholic in me has woken up, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment