Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Right Decision!

There have been many occasions, in the past few weeks, when I questioned my decision of quitting a semi-secured job, and embarking on a journey into an unknown future. I just came across the following story, and I thought I should compile stories like this here, so that when I feel conflicted, I can come here, read them again, and realize for the millionth time that I made the right decision.
Bob Brown, 49, of Dayton, Ohio, has felt the demand for broader skills firsthand. After working for 30 years in manufacturing, including 20 as a plant supervisor, Brown was laid off in July 2009.

He spent a year looking for a new job. His efforts yielded only three calls from employers in the first four months.

But once things began to pick up, Brown noticed something else: The plant management jobs he used to have, and that he was aiming for again, all required certifications in productivity-boosting management practices.

So Brown paid for courses at a community college to learn a management strategy known as "six sigma." It's an approach to cutting waste and raising efficiency popularized by General Electric. The courses allowed him to obtain his certification. In August, he was hired by an electrical product assembly plant near Williamsport, Penn.

"That's the way the industry's going," Brown said. "Everybody wanted certifications."
Source:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unemployed-find-old-jobs-now-apf-3115608895.html?x=0&.v=7

I think I have been proactive; before getting to the point that my skills would have become outdated, I am updating them. I think in a few years, hopefully I am going to look back at this year, and say it with confidence, that I made the right and smart decision. I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment