Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Beating the odds.

What an amazing feeling the Chilean miners must be experiencing tonight? What a sense of relief their families and friends are undergoing tonight? How satisfied their rescuers sentiments are tonight? Everyone who did not give up on the Chilean miners, who did not believe in the statistics, who kept going and had faith on the outcome, must be padding themselves on the back, for a amazing job done. CONGRATULATIONS. WAY TO GO.

Unfortunately I can't count myself among the hopefuls! I did hear the news about the miner accident back in the early August, and I did follow the story, hoping that it would have a happy ending, but around the 10th day I think, I gave up! I gave up looking for, and expecting to hear, any good news from them. I accepted the statistics that stated there could no way be any survives after all this time! However, they survived. They survived 7 times that length of time and beat the odds. CONGRATULATIONS. WAY TO GO.

I couldn't sleep last night, even though I was very tried; I had the TV on all through the night (good thing my parents are on vacation, lol), slept on the sofa, and saw the rescue in progress. I kept falling asleep, but every time I woke up and saw a larger number, I was overjoyed. The commentators kept repeating that they are worried that the miners might get dizzy while in the capsule and faint. They might get claustrophobia during the ride up. They might get nauseous and vomit, and since there was not enough room in the capsule to bend, the vomit might block their airwaves. They speculated that as soon as the minors breath the fresh air, their lung might collapse. More speculation followed that the minors might have lost muscle, and might not be able to stand on their feet. It was said that their kidneys were destroyed for sure, since they did not drink much liquid in the first 17 days of being trapped.

But one by one they came up, full of good spirit, even if they were in pain, even if they were uncomfortable, they did not show it. They are all out now and they have set precedence for the future disasters to happen NOT anytime soon. Their survivals are going to push the statistics in favor of positive thinking, happy ending, and beating the odds. CONGRATULATIONS. WAY TO GO.

I so want to beat the odds myself. I want to pass my courses one by one successfully, learn as much as I can, finish school triumphantly, find a job quickly, a satisfying-challenging-exciting job, and in the process I am hoping that I don't lose my house, and don't empty my savings account completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment