Sunday, September 26, 2010

Not that it matters!

But apparently I am not older than my professors! And the funny thing is that I have been going to class for over 2 weeks, I have been coming here and posting often, but up to just an hour ago, it never occurred to me to think if I actually am the oldest person in the class!

One of my professors announced last week that he is giving a talk about his research this week. He said that even though his talk has nothing to do with the course he is teaching us, but we are welcome to go to his talk. I decided to go; one never knows what an import thing she is going to learn in these talks!

So since I had internet connection and noting pressing to do, I decided to check out the professor's page to see if there is an abstract of his talk, or summary of his research, available on his site, so that I could familiarized myself with it before going to his talk. Once there I saw his bio, including the institution and the year of his graduation, and suddenly I realized he is about 12 years older than me. Well, assuming everyone is around 22, plus and minus 1 or 2 years, when they graduate from college. So if he was about 22, then he is about 12 years older than me!

Then I decided to checkout my other professors' pages and realized that they too are 8, and 11 years older than me! As it turns out actually my department is on the older side! It is a big department, but not many, or should I say any, junior faculties. I find that strange!

I am defining junior faculties to be in their early 30s. Assuming they got their PhDs when they were in their late 20s, and couple of years of post docs, I suppose then they could be an assistant professor as early as their early 30s. However the youngest faculty in our department is 36, again assuming he got his bachelor's when he was around 22! And actually he is the only one younger than me. The rest are older from 2 years to over 25 years!

Not that it matters, but I guess I am not yet the oldest one in the class! lol. Actually I think in one of my classes there is another student who might be older than me! I overheard her telling another student that she has been out of school for 20 years. Now if that is exact than she could be older than me. I too tell everyone one I have been out of school for almost 20 years, but to be exact, it is 17 years!

Anyhow, I guess when I wrote my first entry here my insecurity had gotten the best of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment